Department: Ski School
Job Summary: The Race Coach is responsible for hands-on coaching of young ski racers involved in the Bolton Valley Race Club, which is designed to help young racers compete to the best of their abilities, while instilling in them a healthy competitive drive and a love of the sport, all in a fun atmosphere that both kids and parents will enjoy.
- Supervise and coach a group of young racers, teaching proper technique appropriate to the ability level and age of the group
- Promote safety and provide racers with the knowledge and skills to remain safe when they leave the group to ski on their own
- Set race courses for training
- Travel primarily within Vermont to weekend races with the group
- Provide effective feedback to racers and parents regarding ski and personal development
NOTE: All Bolton Valley employees are required to perform alternate functions from time to time, both within and outside of their assigned department, particularly during peak periods such as holiday weekends.
Customer Service Expectations: Must be helpful, friendly, courteous and professional in all dealings with racers and parents in accordance with Bolton’s commitment to providing superior customer service.
- Prior experience as a racer
- USSA/VARA certification as an Alpine coach
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of race environment
- Knowledge of race technique and progressive race skills development
- Ability to relate to, and instruct, children
- Excellent communications skills
Physical and Mental Demands: Required to be on the mountain in all weather conditions to instruct, and to set and pull courses. Includes carrying equipment (up to 50 lbs.) such as drills and gates while on skis, and standing on icy and uneven snow surfaces. Constant contact with parents and children can be stressful.
Work Environment: Work is performed primarily outside in all weather conditions, including extreme cold, snow, wind and rain, on varied snow surfaces, as well as indoors.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.