Sports Center Manager
Department: Ski School
Season: Winter Seasonal
Time: Full Time
Job Summary: Responsible for overall management and staffing of Sports Center including Nordic Skiing, Aquatic features, and Field House operations.
- Plans, implements and manages all aspects of the Sports Center including; Nordic skiing activities, Pool Facility, and Field House at Bolton Valley
- Supervises a staff of approximately 5-10 people
- Oversees trail conditions and maintenance
- Oversees equipment rental and lessons programs
- Reviews and enhances food offerings and other potential sources of revenue at the Sports Center
- Coordinates with marketing and sales to support plans and goals for all Sports Center activities and to take advantage of cross marketing or package offerings within the resort. Work with marketing to enhance Sport Center components of resort web site.
- Responsible for Sports Center cleanliness. Sports Center staff will be responsible for vacuuming carpets and pool, cleaning bath and locker areas, wiping down exercise equipment, changing light bulbs and washing windows, snow removal near all entrances and exits
- Develops a projected annual revenue and expense budget in conjunction with the Accounting Department, and manages expenses and payroll to meet or better the projected budget.
- Hires, trains and motivates staff to perform all required services and offerings with a high level of customer service
- Aggressively seeks to grow winter outdoor programming, activities and revenues, through events such as Nordic training camps, snow-shoe events and Bolton-based racing events
- Develops and implements new indoor programming that takes advantage of the large open areas within Sports Center
- Observes, monitors, and communicates weather and terrain conditions with regard to customer experience and safety
- Plans Nordic race events with local high schools, colleges and other Nordic race organizations
- Networks with individuals and organizations to promote Nordic skiing at Bolton Valley. Initiates and develops relationships and/or joint programming with industry groups and suppliers to enhance revenues, promote events and activities and build the Bolton brand
- Adheres to all health and liquor laws as required
NOTE: All Bolton Valley employees are required to perform alternate functions from time to time, both within and outside of their assigned department, particularly during peak periods such as holiday weekends.
Customer Service Expectations: Must be helpful, friendly, courteous and professional in accordance with Bolton’s commitment to providing superior customer service, and be passionate about Sports Center offerings.
- College degree preferred
- A passion for outdoor recreation
- 2-3 years of prior supervisory experience in a heavily customer-oriented environment
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to ski safely and confidently in all ski conditions and in varying types of terrain at all times
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
Physical and Mental Demands: Must be outside daily on the Nordic trails in all weather conditions. Dealing with demanding customers can be stressful.
Work Environment: Work is performed both outside in all weather conditions, including extreme cold, snow, wind and rain, on varied snow surfaces, as well as indoors. Indoor time is spent managing the staff and operations and interacting with guests in person. Some indoor time is also spent on the computer and phone, as well as, cleaning and maintaining the facilities.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.